Go Back   Loughborough Forums > Life In Loughborough > General

Old 16-03-12, 07:48 AM

Red face Metal Thieves Sink To A New Low in Dudley

Another dispicable act which makes me wonder what the world we live in today is coming to. Not so long long back the Midland Metro was targeted by copper metal thieves stealing the overhead power lines and I wonder if Nottingham Express Transit Tram system could be next.

On my last visit to my old haunts I decide to Visit the Black Country Museum in Dudley and noticed that the resident trolleybuses weren't operating. Normally I would board a Walsall or Wolverhampton Corporation trolleybus down to the village but on this occasion I walked down alongside the trolleybuse route. What I noticed was sections of the overhead removed in places and just assumed that the museum's linesmen were carrying out maintenance.

Recently much to my horror, I learned that the trolleybuses were operating until the beginning of 2011. In January 2011 an unscrupulous gang of metal thieves broke into the museum and stole sections of overhead running wire to both the museum's tram and trolleybus routes. These unscrupulous characters should be named and shamed. A few months inside with porridge for breakfast doesn't deter them.

One idea of mine would be to have the current switched on. They would think twice if they received a 550 Volt Direct Current electric shock. No doubt they would get round this by wearing heavy duty rubber gloves. My only real answer if they haven't already done so is to have security cameras installed. Although the museum's tramway has now resumed operation, there are no signs in the forseeable future of the trolleybuses resuming service at the museum. This is sad because much hard work has gone into this lovely museum in every way.
Sponsored Links

Old 18-03-12, 10:05 AM

Default Metal thieves

Seems we ought to keep our eye on the Carillion (CCTV?) - those plaques with the names of the Loughborough men who dies in the World Wars might be a very tempting target for metal thieves
Old 18-03-12, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardig View Post
Seems we ought to keep our eye on the Carillion
Only one 'i' in Carillon. You've spelt it phonetically.
See http://forums.loughboroughecho.net/v...c42742ed#p1285

At work we have about 1/2 a milliom quids worth of copper and brass. (Much less value as scrap.) It would be too much hard work for them to steal it. They always go for the soft target, like all thieving scumbags.
Old 18-03-12, 02:33 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardig View Post
Seems we ought to keep our eye on the Carillion (CCTV?) - those plaques with the names of the Loughborough men who dies in the World Wars might be a very tempting target for metal thieves
I couldn't agree with you more as these unscrupulous scumbags have no feelings and they don't respect other peoples propery and the memories of relatives who contributed towards their country and lost their lives in World War 1.
Old 24-03-12, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charnwood Fox View Post
Only one 'i' in Carillon. You've spelt it phonetically.
See http://forums.loughboroughecho.net/v...c42742ed#p1285

At work we have about 1/2 a milliom quids worth of copper and brass. (Much less value as scrap.) It would be too much hard work for them to steal it. They always go for the soft target, like all thieving scumbags.
You are right because thieving scumbags are like bullies who pick on easy targets. Sooner or later they try to be too clever and underestimate a situation. They get caught out and squeal like a cornered pig in a abattoir.
Sponsored Links